Yes, I am alive and well. And no, our honeymoon was not 3 weeks long, though that would have been a lot more fun than coming back home to reality so soon. The past couple of weeks I have been busy (and not so busy) doing many necessary (and not so necessary) things. My days have been filled with important things like changing my name on my social security card, being added to Gabe's bank account, doing online learning modules for my new job, and of course, cleaning the apartment. I have also been spending my days laying in bed until I really feel like getting up, baking/cooking meals and desserts, watching hours upon hours of the Dick Van Dyke Show, reading my newest book The Sunflower by Richard Paul Evans and organizing all 648 wedding pictures on my computer and in my new photo album. Oh yes, and writing thank you notes, which I am sure always occupies the time of newlyweds just after a wedding. :)
Many others have already posted pictures and thoughts about the wedding. Here are some of MY thoughts:
The wedding was perfect - everything I ever dreamed it would be. The church was beautiful, still decorated for Christmas, so many pointsettas adorning the altar! There were so many smiling faces as I walked down the aisle, it made me feel so happy that everyone was there because they wanted to see me and my Gabriel get married. My Uncle Joel's sermon was more than I ever hoped it would be. It was so refreshing to hear a theologically sound message that didn't just talk about how the bride and groom were meant for each other and blah blah blah. Gabe and I both greatly appreciated the time and thought he put into preparing that sermon. I really enjoyed ushering everyone out at the end. It gave us a chance to see everyone, without making them stand forever through a receiving line (though I found out later that I guess that kind of did happen with the bridal party and parents).
The reception was perfect as well. When we walked into the cafeteria at Martin Luther, I almost didn't even recognize the place - and I helped decorate and set up! It looked like a country club, and the way the lights reflected off the windows gave the room an appearance of being even larger. The mood was perfect...I thoroughly enjoyed dinner and the toasts, the cake was beautiful, and the music was wonderful as well.
Here are some of my favorite moments:
Sitting in the church basement, dressed, ready to go...but waiting...forever. The girls had brought over chips, apples and Coke and I willingly indulged, having nothing better to do. Looking back, drinking Coke in a white dress was probably not the smartest or brightest idea...but at the time it seemed perfectly fine. It was so cold in the basement...but we all had fun laughing and shivering and eagerly anticipating the start of the service.
When I came upstairs I was so happy to see my brother and soon-to-be brothers-in-law. They smiled and helped me up the stairs and made me feel more at ease. (The nerves were starting to kick in now!) Then I saw my dad, with such a pitiful expression on his face. He was starting to tear up and was deep breathing to try to calm himself down. Only minutes and seconds before walking into the church I was calming my dad down and telling him that we could do it and that it would be okay... Kind of funny and cute that my dad would be that emotional at my wedding. I guess it just shows how much he loves his "little girl." :)
Once we were standing at the altar, I tightened my grip on Gabe's arm. He squeezed back. And at that moment I felt a million times more relaxed. I leaned against him a little bit and he supported my weight. I was standing next to my man and he was going to be there for me...for the rest of my life. From then on I was not nervous, only emotional and excited. :)
Hannah's toast was very touching. It was good to hear that despite all of our fights and arguments, my sister still loves me and remembers all of our wonderful younger days. It was also good to hear her reminisce about Gabe's encounters with my family. She certainly deserved a long hug after that.
While I felt awkward out on the dance floor in front of everyone, I couldn't help but think back to when we first danced to Joel's song at Concordia. It was very special that he was able to play that song at our reception. I also enjoyed the father-daughter dance...the song was so perfect. It was also very special being able to dance with my grandpa for a little bit. After the incident this past year, we are lucky he is still alive and his heart is still beating and it meant a lot to me that he could be there for Christmas and my wedding. :)
There are so many other things that I loved about the wedding, but how can I name them all? I will always look back on the wedding preparations with a smile, thinking about how much time we put into this one day. When I think about all the people who helped make this day so special, there are too many to name. My grandma and grandpa, Aunt Mandy, Uncle Ken (and little ones), Kim, Francee, Aunt Jeanna, Mrs. Smith, Ron Kamprath, Mr. Lawson, Mr. Burgess, my siblings and Gabe's siblings, and Gabe's parents... Everyone who gave ideas and help, and who came and supported us on the day of our wedding. And most especially my parents who planned, paid for and ran the entire thing. My mother deserves a special thank you because even though she was very busy these past few months, she somehow found time and energy to plan this wedding, and do all of the necessary shopping and preparation. And also, my husband, who put up with me and my mother throughout the planning and only caused problems a couple of times. ;-)
Mom's blog has lots of pictures of the wedding for anyone else who may not have seen them already. I didn't think I should post MORE pictures. Check them out! :)
Aw....that was a bit of a tear jerker in a great way!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom