Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 4: Teaching in Belize...

Our morning was spent teaching the children of Little Flowers school. Amanda, Sarah and I began by teaching 5 year olds about hand washing. They were so cute as they sang the ABCs with us and scrubbed their hands (singing the ABCs while you wash your hands makes sure that you are scrubbing for the proper amount of time). They were very polite and raised their hands and said please and thank you and hey all said goodbye in unison as we left. We then taught 7-8 year olds about general hygiene and specifically tooth brushing and hand washing. Our third and fourth presentations were about diabetes prevention and this directed towards 12-14 year olds. We was harder to get them to interact, but we still got our message across. Each one of us had to be the "leader" on one of the presentations. I had to do diabetes prevention. Overall, I loved the experience and I loved the kids. Take a look at the pictures and I think you'll understand why. :-)





After eating a small snack (upon nurse James' recommendation) we headed up to the Oh family's place. We made corn tortillas (or tried anyway) and then had some very interesting chicken soup. Basically I think they chop up the chicken into a whole bunch of random parts and throw everything into the broth. The broth was actually relatively good. I think you can tell from the pictures how it might taste.






After lunch we got to see how Mrs. Oh makes baskets. As payment for their hospitality we each purchased some baskets. I got a couple of pairs of earrings - for my mom and sisters to fight over - and a basket with red and green detail on it (probably a good Christmas decoration). Later, when we headed to the Mayan ruins of Lubaatun I purchased a bread basket from a Belizean woman selling baskets on the path up to the ruins. The ruins were cool. We saw one place that used to be a fish market, and another where they played their version of football. Apparently the winner's prize was that he got to be sacrificed to the gods....





We prepped for our patients tomorrow and wrote in our clinical journals, now we're ready for another day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment