Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I don't quite understand...

I don't quite understand...how so many busy mommies find time to keep their blogging up-to-date! Last time I blogged I wrote about the 6th day in Belize. Days 7, 8, 9, and 10 all were very eventful and very interesting....maybe sometime I will actually post pictures and write about my days there. To be honest, I'm not even really sure I remember everything that happened specifically on those days. I know we went to the island/peninsula of Placencia and enjoyed a relaxing weekend shopping, eating, and drinking. Despite some traveling hiccups, we DID make it home safe and sound. Oh, and I passed my clinical, so that's always a good thing too.

Since my return from Belize several exciting things have happened. The most important and exciting thing that has happened is my husband and I found out that we're expecting!! I am 12 weeks officially today, and crossing my fingers that the morning sickness starts wearing off ASAP. While I really can't complain, and it hasn't been completely awful, it certainly has not been enjoyable and waking up every morning knowing I'm probably going to throw up is something I definitely will NOT miss. At 9 1/2 weeks we heard the little one's heartbeat on a doppler which we rented from Stork Radio. At 10 weeks we heard the heartbeat in the doctors office, and at 11 weeks we again found it on the doppler at home. I haven't tried that recently, but I'm sure the little Frusti is happy and healthy. 2 more months and we find out if it's a girl or a boy! :)

Gabe's field training is in full swing. Tonight is actually his last night on 2nd shift before he does his last 5 weeks of training on 1st shfit. After field training ends, he will officially be working 2nd shift (4-midnight) at least until November. He has seen many different things, some exciting, some not-so-much. Everything from arrests to DOAs (dead on arrival). It's fun to come back from work and share stories, seeing how we both usually have something interesting to share.

My job at the hospital is going well. Recently I had a patient who had a stroke only minutes after meeting him. I saw the signs as I was helping him, and immediately called the nurse. The family was so grateful for the help we gave him and how quickly we responded. Throughout the shift as more friends and family members came to visit I was introduced as "the girl who recognized that _______ was having a stroke and kept him safe." It's nice to know that I am appreciated, even though I am not yet an RN. :) Since I am a pool CNA, I schedule myself as needed and that sometimes means that I am not always needed. I have only been cancelled once or twice (it's kinda fun to get a surprise day off from work). It also means that sometimes I get put on other floors of the hospital if they need me there. Today I was a sitter in a room on another floor for a lady who attempted suicide a couple of days ago. She overdosed on antidepressants and combined that with alcohol. The side effects of the drugs have messed up the electrical system in her heart (prolonged QT if anyone else knows or cares what that is) so she is being monitored at the hospital. I sat in the room with her to ensure that she does not try to hurt or harm herself in any way. The time went by quickly. We talked, watched some TV and walked the halls of the unit. She told me that she regretted the decision she made a couple of days ago, and has not had any suicidal thoughts since then. When I said goodbye at the end of my shift, she smiled at me and said "Thank you for treating me like a queen." Work has the ability to put you in a bad, stressed-out mood, but on some days (like today) patients makes all the difference. :)

As I was driving out of the parking garage at work this evening I saw an older woman waving at me and kind of motioning with her hands. I didn't know exactly what she was doing, so I slowed down, smiled and waved. As I kept going past her I saw her waving her hands at me motioning me to stop. "Geeze, I'm 66 years old and you don't stop for me?" I apologized, explaining that I didn't quite understand what she had wanted me to do. She asked me if I could give her a ride to the front of the hospital entrance, to which I replied that I certainly would. She hopped (well, GOT) in my car and I drove her out of the parking garage and to the front entrance of the hospital. I asked her who she was visiting and she told me that her fiance was a patient here. "I know. I'm one of those crazy old ladies getting married," she said. I congratulated her and told her that I hope he gets better soon. Meanwhile she got out of the car, thanking me again and again for giving her a ride. When she asked my name, I told her. "That's my daughter's name!" When I asked how she spelled it, she replied, "R.E.B.E.K.A.H." I was surprised, and told her that's how I spell my name too. Kind of an odd coincidence. She thanked me again, and I made sure she knew where she was going before I drove off. A long recounting, I know, but it just seemed so...random....that I had to share with everyone. Between that and work it certainly was an interesting evening.

Another new thing in our lives...house hunting! Hopefully tomorrow we will see some more houses - we have not found "the one" yet but we are certainly looking. With mortgage rates jumping up, we're hoping to jump on a good deal here soon. By the end of the summer we would love to be moving into a new home. :)

Now that everyone is up-to-date.... I will try desperately to keep blogging!! I'm sure many of you would like to be updated on the progress of little Frusti as well as houses, so I will do my best effort. I have great respect for all the mommies who balance kids, the house, home schooling/school, extracurricular activities, work, the husband, and everything else AND STILL BLOG FREQUENTLY! Kudos to you. :-D

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you and who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry I don't do half those things or even quarter of them and still don't keep up with blogging. It's nice to read about your activities and how you and your little one are doing.

    ReplyDelete