Friday, June 11, 2010

$1000 and counting...

I have now officially well surpassed the $1000 mark for savings.  The majority of my savings have been on groceries as well as clothing, home, personal care, and baby items.  I didn't think I would reach $1000 savings so soon - I didn't realize how fast this adds up!  In the past, I budgeted $300 a month for groceries.  Now, I think we spend about $150-$200 a month, and that total just keeps going down.

However, I have now also found that in the last few months I have been spending a considerable amount of time on the computer trying feverishly to compile a list of the best deals and hunting down coupons in magazines, newspaper inserts and online.  So, I have decided to do a one month trial of The Grocery Game.  I have heard great reviews about this using these tools to help cut down on weekly/monthly grocery spending, as well as help generate a growing "stockpile."

The Grocery Game membership costs $10 for 2 months ($5/month) - my first month is free.  I really just want to see what this is all about, how it works and if I like it.  There is a chance I may start using it; however, I really need to decide if it is worth paying for the services it provides since I have been doing pretty well on my own. 

Here are my initial thoughts:
1) It would probably be more beneficial if we had more children, a.k.a. more mouths to feed.
2) I can already tell, just by skimming through the tools/lists, that it is designed to be easy to use.
3) I think it would help me create my shopping list more quickly, and would make it a lot easier especially since I am already familiar with the codes, coupons sources, lingo, etc.
4) I would still use my blogs to which I subscribe to help get more deals on things that I may need that are not on these lists, or that are at other stores (i.e., Target).  I would also still keep signing up for freebies and samples!
5) I would spend a lot less time on this computer, I would waste a lot less time, and I would probably spend a lot less time dwelling on coupons, savings, deals, etc.  (When you wake up one morning to realize that you just had a dream about Ziploc bags and how you could get them for less than $1 a box using sales and doubled coupons, you suddenly decide your psychological state might not be as stable as you once thought...)
6) Most importantly, I can guarantee that I would be saving the same, if not more than I already am, making that $10/2 week fee rather minimal in the grand scheme of things, right??

With all of this extra free time (as if I didn't already have any...), I could spend more time studying for the NCLEX, practicing organ, playing piano, reading books, cleaning the house, cooking meals, working on my own summer projects, exercising, going for walks, enjoying the summer weather, and most importantly...spending lots and lots of time with my adorable, sweet little baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment