Saturday, June 12, 2010

Frugal Ideas

I thought it would be fun every week or every other week to post either a frugal, money-saving idea that we currently are doing at our house, or a frugal tip or idea that I have either heard about or read about that I would like to start implementing around here.  I think this should be a fun way to share the little tricks I've learned (in my very limited homemaking experience) and a great way to get me thinking about more ways to live frugally!

Frugal Idea #1
Baby Wipes

This is something I picked up from the nurses over the past year while doing my pediatric and obstetric clinical rotations: you don't need to use wipes every time you change a baby's diaper.  However, most people think that you do.  Most babies need their diapers changed anywhere from 6-10 times a day, especially when they are newborns (if they do not wet their diapers at least 6 times a day, this may be a sign that they are not getting enough to eat and can quickly become dehydrated).  If you use one wipe each time you change a diaper, this adds up to a lot of baby wipes!  Even if you buy the refills, or if you buy generic brand wipes, the cost can add up quickly.

I used to think like this, too, until I saw several nurses change babies' diapers without ever using wipes and asked them what the reasoning was behind this.  They told me that it just wasn't necessary if the baby was only wet.  Even the gentlest of baby wipes contain chemicals that can be irritating to a baby's skin.  Unless the baby is dirty, or is so wet that liquid is pooling on his skin, most diapers are able to wick enough moisture away from the skin that using a baby wipe is unnecessary for most wet diaper changes.  In fact, a warm, damp washcloth with mild soap is much better to use than any baby wipe.

So, there really is no need to use wipes with every diaper change - just use them for dirty diapers, or when you feel the baby really needs to be cleaned up down there.  Not only will this save you money, but it can significantly reduce a baby's risk of developing a diaper rash.  As long as baby's bottom stays dry and protected, their risk of developing a diaper rash should be minimal!

We've followed this routine with Jacob: we only use baby wipes when he is dirty, or if we want to just make sure he's really clean (i.e., before bed, etc.).  We probably go through one tub of wipes a month...maybe even longer than that!  We also bought a huge tub of A+D ointment on sale which we use prophylactically (I love that word) to protect his skin.  He has not had a diaper rash yet (just some occasional redness).  I also get my wipes at really great prices so that cuts down the cost even more.  I think the most I have spent on tubs of wipes in the past month or two is $0.50!!

Another tip I've heard: Take a scissors and cut the pile of wipes in half.  This will help prevent using too many at one time!

1 comment:

  1. Or you could be really frugal and use CLOTH washcloths and launder them. :-)

    ReplyDelete