Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My little cookie...uh...muffin monster

Jacob has been getting over an upset tummy the last few days.  We think it is from the spaghetti all three of us had on Wednesday night because we all had similar issues.  However, his little tummy takes a lot longer to get back to normal.  Because he has not been feeling well, he has not been as happy as he might normally be.  He has been very clingy and fussy.  He also suddenly decided, as of yesterday, that he does not need naps anymore.  Fortunately, I was able to get him to sleep for almost an hour this afternoon after Gabe left for work.  However, when he woke up he was very angry and very hungry.

Back up about an hour.  All day I had been trying to make pumpkin chocolate muffins so I could bring a batch over tomorrow to a friend.  Normally, I do okay with baking, and regardless of how things turn out I love being in the kitchen.  My attempt at pumpkin chocolate chip bread (the night before) failed miserably, so I decided to switch to muffins.  I was having issues with them all day.  They wouldn't come out of the pan, they were taking really long to bake, etc.  When I finally got Jacob to sleep, I had 9 minutes left on the timer on the oven.  That meant 9 minutes before I could lay down for a very much needed nap.  Not wanting those precious 9 minutes to go to waste, I ran around the house like a crazy woman switching the laundry over, putting things away, doing the dishes.  Finally the timer beeped and I took the muffins out to cool.  I practically ran to the couch to lay down.

Fast forward.  Jacob wakes up angry and hungry.  I have muffins cooling that need to come out of the pan, I have another batch to get in and I need to make his dinner.  Desperate to get him to stop crying, I pop him in his highchair and start breaking off bite size pieces of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (minus the chocolate chips).  Once half was in pieces I put the rest at the top of his tray to deal with in a minute once he finished the ones on his tray.  I hurried about the kitchen getting his food thawed and heated, taking the muffins out of the pan, and getting another pan in the oven.  It took not even 2 minutes.  I focus my attention back on Jacob.  His face is covered in chocolate and he has remnants of muffin in his hands.  He grins at me when he sees me looking at him.  My little monster had finished all of the pieces I broke off for him and then proceeded to grab the rest of the muffin (still with the chocolate chips) and devour that.  He was so happy, all I could do was laugh and smile.

Then he ate veggies and rice for dinner.  I guess he just got dessert first tonight.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment